Friday, April 17, 2015

Mauritius –the holiday island in the Indian Ocean

I arrived in Mauritius in the morning. I had flewn with Emirates from JFK to Dubai the night before. Dubai is a very busy international airport and among all the tourists and business travelers I saw a few Saudi men with three and four veiled wifes and 10 children trailing after them. Honestly I can't say a lot about Dubai, since I never left the airport, but I can tell you the french fries at McDonalds are as good as at any other McDonalds in the world. So after  a three hour stopover in Dubai we flew on to Mauritius, where I was supposed to embark by ship to Reunion the next day. When I got of the plane I felt the climate, meaning the temperature  and the humidity to be very pleasant.  I was amazed by the variety of the incredibly green nature and the endless long white beaches I saw through the window of the bus on our rocky journey from the Airport to the cruise ship.

Unfortunately we got bad news from our cruise ship captain that same night of our arrival. We would skip the trip to Reunion, because of a big Taifun. So we got one more day that we would stay in Mauritius. We performers went into the town and bought souvenirs and postcards and I bought a SIM card for my phone. Oh yes, i forgot to mention i am a juggler and i was one of the entertainers for the cruise. About Mauritius is so much to be said that it became independent in 1968 from Britain and people are friendly and speak english and french. The island has been blessed with pearl white beaches. Mauritius is located like a precious pearl in the indian ocean. You can tell that it has a large cultural variety by looking at the many indian hindu temples, the chinese quarters and you can actually see the british and continental influences in its architecture. Mauritious used to be a french colony and later it became a british colony. Literally, the island of Mauritius is luxury and wellness for the soul and the body,  as it  has picturesque landscapes, amazing resorts and culinary pleasures, because of its creole influence in its foods.

Right after visiting the Teamuseum i ventured further out into unknown territories in Mauritius on my own.  I hitchhiked in order to save some money. I went to the Botanic Garden"Pamplemouse". This exotic garden magically entranced me and it is in my opinion the most beautiful sights in whole Mauritius! It is an absolute highlight and presents the sheer unbelievable amount of animal and plant life. The Dodo is the only one who is missing. He was extinct in 1890. Ever heard the saying "Dead as a Dodo"? That's where the saying comes from.

Many untouched green hills, volcanoes and beaches emboss the environment and have enchanted me with their special charme. The highest mountain of this region, close to the bay of Le Morne has the name "Le Morne" (translated it  means the mourner) and it has an interesting story. An old Legend says that the slaves fled to the mountain top and jumped to their death in hundreds.

Even nowadays people from the island go only reluctant on this mountain of fate of Mauritius. And i I heard and read of many of these little stories in Mauritius.  















The next day in Mauritius I went to the Tea museum and then to the beach with a group of other performers.



We went the next afternoon by ship to Mayotte, but i got back just in time on the ship, because i had to buy some more Tea.  That night i did my juggling show. The ceiling was a little low, but what can you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment